Pacific-basin STEAM Teaching Conference @hAWAIICON
Kona Coast, Big Island of Hawaii, September 13-16, 2018
This unique science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics teaching conference brings together internationally recognized K-12 STEAM education thought-leaders, scientists, teacher educators, award-winning authors, film makers, comic-artists, game designers, and science fiction television and movie personalities in one of the most amazing STEAM teaching environments on the entire planet. Make plans now to join us and upgrade your hands-on activity STEAM teaching toolkit today!
Things you don't want to miss at the conference include:
- Four days of hands-on STEAM workshops with classroom-ready materials! Separate workshops are specially designed for elementary teachers and secondary teachers.
- Opportunities to visit unique, ocean-side schools that teach using problem-based science approaches
- Hear cutting-edge science updates from practicing scientists
- Touch real moon rocks - yes, ones from the moon - and learn how to get actual NASA samples for your classoom
- The "A" in STEAM isn't a silent, add-on letter at PSTC@HawaiiCon - see the Jr. Geek Film Competition and Jr. Costume CosPlay Runway Show
- Socialize and learn from your favorite TV & movie science fiction actors and authors along with a host of scientists, scholars, and cultural leaders. (The entertainment industry guest line up is updated frequently.) Bring your camera; your students won't believe who you met!
Your students will thank you for coming!
Hands-on professional development workshop presenters invited to attend include:
- Rick Jones, University of Hawai'i West O'ahu (Conference Co-Chair)
- Sarah "Katie" Guffey, University of Southern Alabama
- Tania Burchell, National Radio Astro Observatory (ret.)
- Cindy Fong, Hilo Intermediate School
- Cheryl Gansecki, videographer at VolcanoVideo.com
- Ken Hon, University of Hawai'i Hilo volcanologist
- Lou Mayo, NASA Goddard
- Stephanie Slater, CAPER Ctr for Astro & Physics Educ Res
- Tim Slater, Univ. of Wyoming (Conference Co-Chair)
- Derek Buzasi, Kepler Mission & Florida Gulf Coast U.
- Heather Preston, Calusa Nature Center & Planetarium
- Sharon Schleigh, CAPER Ctr for Astro & Physics Educ Res
- Carrie Cole, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
... among others
REGISTRATION FEE: The four-day registration fee is just $99 with a school employee ID and includes access to all HawaiiCon Celebrity presentations and professional development sessions for educators and outreach enthusiasts held at the hotel conference center, including those with scientists and media guests: The entertainment industry guest line up is updated frequently. Whether you come for one day or for four, this K-12 teaching conference is one not to be missed. Please pay the registration fee by selecting this link. All presenters and participants pay the registration fee.
CONFERENCE HOTEL: The conference hotel is is nestled on a white sandy beaches along the western the Kohala Coast on the Big Island of Hawaii, the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. Book your rooms directly with us for convention exclusive rates. Rooms start at just $220/night and include free parking, Internet-access, and so much more. *ProTip: lately people seem to have the best luck by calling the hotel directly and asking for the HawaiiCon discounted room rate.*
PRESENTATION PROPOSALS: Although the program is nearly full, there are a few spots for additional presenters. Consider proposing a professional development session or workshop which will be considered on a rolling basis for the conference with notifications sent on the first day of each month after initial submission, with priority acceptance date of May 15. Titles, a summary description, and brief biographical sketch are to be submitted to the PSTC Conference Co-Chairs using the online form. Kindly note that all presenters and participants pay the nominal registration fee.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDIT OPPORTUNITIES: We anticipate opportunities to earn official PD3, CEUs, and graduate credits will be available for participants. Information available soon.
Sign up to receive updated information about the Pacific-basin STEAM Teaching Conference as soon as it becomes available.
For specific questions, please email email@example.com