The 2017 National ASTRONOMY TEACHING SUMMIT Conference
August 7-9, 2017 -- Florida Gulf Coast University, Ft. Myers, Florida, USA
Please mark your calendar for the next Astronomy Teaching Summit. The conference is being held on the picturesque west coast of Florida on the campus of Florida Gulf Coast University in Ft. Myers from August 7-9, 2017. A Sunday evening reception will be held.
The Astronomy Teaching Summit brings together dedicated astronomy and planetary sciences educators to share innovative teaching techniques and successful instructional strategies that increase students’ engagement, achievement, and motivation. Traditionally focused on improving teaching and learning for the introductory college astronomy ASTRO 101 survey courses for non-science majoring undergraduates, the Summit now brings together a wider variety of astronomy educators and outreach enthusiasts at all levels where astronomy and planetary science is taught: K-12, College-101, Graduate School, Planetariums/Museums, and Amateur Astronomy Groups.
The Summit includes nationally known keynote speakers, hands-on workshops, contributed presentations, panel discussions, and fireside chats with plenty of opportunities to network with like-minded educators. A sample programming grid is available showing the general structure of the conference. Available workshops include:
- engaging students with better interactive lecturing techniques
- using in-class activities to change modality of instruction
- increasing students' quantitative reasoning skills
- modern testing and grading techniques that really work
- teaching in the planetarium: increasing student engagement
- Cutting Edge Science Updates - what's new to include in your teaching
This is the place to be to enhance your astronomy teaching toolkit! Astronomy educators and outreach educators from all levels are invited to participate and submit proposals for presentations. The conference is being organized by a highly-respected program committee. Proceedings from the previous 2016 National Astronomy Teaching Summit can be ordered online (here).
- Conference Registration Fee: $235 paid online or on site (all presenters and participants must pay this nominal registration fee; there is no single day registration fee; no meals are included). Pay by clicking here.
- Conference Hotel: Conference rate of just $99/night at Holiday Inn-Ft Myers Airport, 9931 Interstate Commerce Drive, Ft. Myers, FL 33913. Book your discounted room online or call the hotel directly at 239-322-1355 and tell them you are with the CAPER Astronomy Summit and ask for the discounted conference rate A rental car is not required, but recommended. There is a hotel shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to campus.
- Presentation Proposal Submission: Proposals for 20-minute presentations, 90-minute workshops & panel discussions are being considered between now and May 16, 2017 (there may be limited opportunities for late submissions). Note that attendees may serve as lead author on only one proposal and all listed co-authors must pay the registration fee. (Priority submission deadline is May 16, 2017). Propose by clicking here and entering a 150-250 word description; individuals may only serve as lead author once per meeting.
- Meet-The-Authors sessions: Many of our registered attendees have published books and we certainly want to highlight, celebrate, and spread the word about their books to other attendees.
- Conference Venue: Sessions run from 8am-7pm each day at the Florida Gulf Coast University Campus, 10501 FGCU Blvd S, Fort Myers, FL 33965. Ft Myers airport, RSW, is served by many major airlines with direct flights. Nearby airports only about two hours away by rental car include Orlando (MCO, 161 mi.), Tampa (TPA, 142 mi), Miami (MIA, 140 mi.), and Fort Lauderdale (FLL, 132 mi.).
Don’t’ miss this conference and a chance to improve your astronomy students’ learning!
To receive information updates about the August 7-9, 2017 Summit at Florida Gulf Coast University on the wonderful west coast of Florida near Ft. Myers, please add your name and email address here:
For additional information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1(520)975-1373 in the USA